Clinics & Services
Practice Nurse Led Services & Clinics
Our experienced and supportive Practice Nurses run clinics in the following:
- Cervical smears - we encourage all women aged between 25 and 64 to have a smear taken regularly.
- Childhood vaccinations - weekly appointments are available with your practice nurse or doctor. For any questions or concerns please speak to a member of the healthcare team.
- Travel immunisations - this clinic provides travel advice and holiday injections.
- Flu vaccinations - in early winter, all patients above 65 years and those with chronic diseases (e.g., asthma, diabetes, heart diseases, COPD) will be offered vaccination.
- Diabetes and asthma checks - our healthcare team member will monitor and review the care of the patient. If you are not being seen, please consult with your doctor
- Ear syringing - our nurses and doctors can offer you ear syringing if required for your condition.
- Wound Care - our nurses will give you full wound care service which includes dressings and removal of stitches.
Phlebotomy / Blood Tests
All blood test forms are directed to the Blood Clinic in Watford General Hospital, which is open from 12.00 pm to 16.00 pm weekdays. Please see link for further information: http://www.westhertshospitals.nhs.uk/ourservices/pathology.asp
The practice also provides a few clinics and a limited number of phlebotomy appointments for adults when required and requested by the GPs working for the Elms Surgery.
Like most GP surgeries in Watford, children who require blood tests are directed to Safari Children Unit in Watford General Hospital where an appointment can be booked by calling the hospital switchboard 019232442366.
As the practice has limited resources / services available for phlebotomy service, we are only able to accept the blood tests requested / aurthorised by the GPs working for the Elms Surgery. We will not be able to book an apointment for blood tests on request of your hospital consultants. The patients who require regular blood testing for warfarin monitoring, they are advised to contact Warfarin Clinic in Watford General Hospital by calling the hospital switchboard 019232442366. The WGH Warfarin clinic may be able to arrange a home visit for the patients who are not able to attend the hospital.
In Addition the following treatment room services can be provided:
- Routine blood pressure checks
- Heart disease preventions checks
- ECG monitoring
- Minor diabetes checks
- Asthma checks and spiro-metry monitoring
- Checks for over 75s
- Well woman/man checks
- Checks for newly registered patients
Latent TB Testing
We provide Latent TB testing to our patients and patients from other practices who are aged 16 - 35 years old.
For further information please call the surgery and book an appointment into this clinic and read the patient information leaflet below from Public Health England: